As you may have realized Skype recently released a call recording feature in its new version 8 that lets you conveniently record video calls and save them. However, if you want to record Skype video calls that look impressive, you need to take the appropriate steps.
To put it simply, call recording will record your video calls the way they appear on your screen. If you want them to look more impressive, you need to take steps to improve your video call quality and appearance – which involves several areas.
Improve the Connection Quality
The connection quality is important to the quality of your video calls. A good connection will not only help prevent issues such as lag and stuttering, but it will also let Skype automatically increase the resolution of the video call.
To improve the connection quality there are a few steps that you could take:
- Connect using a wired Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi.
- Make sure no other apps or programs are consuming bandwidth.
- Set up the Quality of Service (QoS) settings on your router to prioritize Skype calls.
Suffice to say your goal should be to ensure Skype has as much bandwidth to it available as possible.
Improve the Audio and Video Quality
While you can’t directly control the audio and video quality settings since Skype handles that automatically, there are steps you can take to improve their quality:
- Use an HD webcam or camera to record the video call.
- Get a decent quality microphone instead of relying on the built-in microphone.
- Wear headphones or earphones to avoid echo due to the microphone picking up audio from the speakers.
- Make sure there is a prominent white-colored element in the frame to improve the automated white balance.
- Check that the lighting is good and there is plenty of it, preferably soft, diffused, and coming from above and behind your monitor.
- Manually adjust the webcam video settings such as the brightness, contrast, exposure, white balance, and so on.
- Update Skype regularly to ensure it is optimized.
Overall these steps should improve the audio and video quality, and that will be reflected in the quality of the Skype video calls that you record.
It should be noted that aside from the built-in call recording feature, there are other ways to record Skype calls. For example, you could use a screen recorder such as Movavi Screen Recorder Mac as a Skype recorder Mac by setting it to capture the video from your screen.
Regardless of the method that you use to record the call however, the results will be relatively similar. At the end of the day, the factor that will influence how impressive the video call looks the most is the quality of the calls – which comes down to the connection, audio, and video quality.
In short, if you can improve those areas as outlined above, you should be able to record more impressive Skype video calls through whatever means you prefer.