Last updated on February 11, 2019
The American educational system is targeted at creative thinking and allows the freedom of thought. In the meanwhile, nobody has canceled a professional style of writing. Every student ought to stick to definite academic requirements. There are such papers as a personal statement or application letter, which are open to whatever a student wishes. They are non-scientific. However, there are such serious and difficult pieces of writing as a dissertation or coursework. These are scientific papers. Accordingly, one must compose them as a professional academic writer.
First of all, it’s necessary to define what a professional paper is. Such kinds of academic papers are traditionally written in a formal style, which is also called professional with some rare exceptions. People who focus on good and qualified pieces commonly specialize in education, journalism, public relations, science, and similar directions. In order to succeed, one should aim at the quality of the research. Stick to a formal and professional format but don’t overdo. It shouldn’t be overly sophisticated.
After we define the definition of this important style, we ought to learn how to compose it properly.
Every professional paper is supposed to be:
- Supported by facts;
- Useful for other people.
If your academic writing possesses all these qualities, it is simply doomed to be successful.
Completing Your Project
Every piece of writing consists of three major parts, which are the beginning, the main plot and the ending. Nonetheless, you should take into account some other points. Begin with an outline. It saves a lot of time because it contains all stages of your writing. You won’t be messed up and will always know which step to undertake next.
Let’s name other essential parts:
- Choosing the title.
- Compiling data.
- Writing the main parts – introduction, main plot, and conclusion.
- Writing a draft.
- Checking your draft.
These are the main parts of any academic assignment. However, there may be some exceptions. For example, such complex assignments as a dissertation may require such points as “methodology” (presentation of methods that helped to conduct your research), or data analysis (when you underline pure outcomes of your research but don’t draw conclusions). Determine the slightest details concerning every project you are assigned to avoid mistakes.
Of course, you should complete each stage accurately. However, these methods are well-known. Let’s concentrate on something more special. There are certain measures, you may not even think about when you write your paper from scratch. They help to make it more attractive, vivid, and professional.
What are they? Consider the following points:
- Stick to the third person. If you write a formal paper, it’s better to stick to the third person. Avoid such expressions “I believe” or “You know”. You are to complete scientific research based on facts. Accordingly, the third person stands for objective evaluations.
- Be original. Your work should be more descriptive and captivating. Thus, don’t write “She liked her new dress”. Instead of it, write “She adored her new dress with relish”.
- Put space. In order to make your text more vivid and readable, use spacing. Put space between the paragraphs, as well as between the lines. It will be easier to read because the words and lines will have some distance and won’t be placed too close to one another.
- Use different fonts. It’s a good idea to use different fonts. They are supposed to be contrasting to one another. Thus, your text will become more readable and pleasant to the eye. Your readers will see a clear division, which is used by professionals. One font is needed for the heading and all sub-headings. The second one should be used for the body text.
These tips seem to be very small. Nevertheless, they are used by all professional writers who know how to craft a beautiful structure. Your text should be pleasant to read.
A Few More Writing Tips from Experts
We would like to highlight some more tips, which will help you to compose a professional piece.
- Use a formal view. Your research ought to be understandable for your readers. Don’t use too simple sentences and expressions. However, they shouldn’t be overly complex. Quit difficult tenses, scientific terms and words, which are unknown for the majority of people.
- Stick to your point. You should never lose the focus of your main purpose. Once you come up with the point, stick to it. It must be clear and straight to the point. All your examples, evidence, and ideas should be closely related to your main purpose.
- Be concrete in the body. The body paragraphs should be plain and concentrate on your thesis statement. You should support it with the proofs. Make sure your examples and evidence is concrete. It cannot highlight something remotely close to your theme. When you give an example, operate with real and clear facts, figures, etc.
- Use smart words. Stuff your project with smart words, similar to “though”, “whilst”, nonetheless”, etc. They make your text professional vivid, and wiser.
- Revise. Don’t forget to reread your paper. Make it in different ways – read in your head and aloud, read from the end to the beginning, ask others to read it, use grammar and spelling checking programs.
These tips are effective and universal. They are suitable for any piece of writing. Use them each time you are assigned an academic project and you’ll compose a real masterpiece.